The Ontario Music Fund (OMF) provides $15M annually to Ontario’s music industry. The OMF was made permanent in the 2015 Ontario Budget. The Ontario Music Office (OMO) is responsible for delivering the OMF. The OMO is located within the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), an agency of the Government of Ontario.
The OMF is aimed at strengthening and stimulating growth in Ontario’s music companies and supporting this key culture industry sector. The Fund is designed to drive activity and investment and to support Ontario’s music companies and organizations in expanding their economic and cultural footprints within Canada and around the world.
The OMF is structured to complement other public funding programs and address investment gaps at key phases of company and industry development cycles.
Goals of the Ontario Music Fund The OMF is based on the following four key goals:
- Increasing music production activity in Ontario and building strong, competitive and sustainable music companies;
- Strengthening Ontario’s music industry by supporting institutions, organizations and initiatives that develop artists, drive revenue growth and attract audiences and increase tourism;
- Strategically advancing Ontario’s Live Music Strategy and increasing opportunities for new/emerging Canadian artists to perform in Ontario, in Canada and internationally; and
- Creating opportunities for emerging artists and music businesses in francophone, aboriginal and culturally diverse communities and musical genres.
OMF Program Streams Four program streams have been developed to support the overall OMF program goals:
1. Music Company Development
2. Music Industry Development
3. Live Music
4. Music Futures
Each program stream has specific eligibility and application requirements as set out in the individual program stream guidelines. Beyond these program streams, the OMF will consider strategic support for nonconforming projects that are time-limited and have a high impact on the broader Ontario music industry. Interested applicants should contact Harbord Associates to determine if their project is eligible.